05 March 2009

Mildred Loving on same gender marriage

Today the California Supreme Court hears arguments regarding the constitutionality of the Proposition 8 initiative which amended or revised the state constitution to prohibit same gender marriages. For those of you who were unable to watch the proceedings today, it is archived here. Tip of the biretta to Anne for alerting me to video archive.

With that background, I offer this as my post today.

Mildred and Richard Loving were the Plaintiffs in the Loving vs. the State of Virginia case that ended the antiquated marriage prohibition between races. The following quote is the only statement ever issued by Mildred. It was released on 12 June 2007, the fortieth anniversary of the decision:
Surrounded as I am now by wonderful children and grandchildren, not a day goes by that I don't think of Richard and our love, our right to marry, and how much it meant to me to have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the "wrong kind of person" for me to marry.

I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry. Government has no business imposing some people's religious beliefs over others. Especially if it denies people's civil rights.

I am still not a political person, but I am proud that Richard's and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That's what Loving, and loving, are all about.
To that I can only add, "Amen."

Sisters and Brothers, we need to pray for the GLBT community regardless of how the Court rules in ninety days. The community is hurting and they are tired of the struggle.

For more on the Loving decision, IT points us here. She also points us to two other posts here and to her post here.

A more legal description of the Loving decision is here but be forewarned, it is all legal language.