20 September 2009

Breaking my Sunday rest for a special cause

I believe this is the third time that I have broken my self imposed Sunday rest rule. But, I do so to ask your prayers for the father-in-law of my high-school friend KD.

Borje is her husband's father. Borje is nearing the end of his mortal journey and this time is very difficult for his children. The family is gathering for an adieu (they are Swedes in Sweden).

Please remember Mike, and his brothers as they help their father transition from this life to the life to come.

When I think of the end of life, I think of the Swedish hymn (psalm) "Children of the Heavenly Father." This hymn was the hymn for funerals when I was growing up. No one in town was buried from our Swedish Lutheran Church without this hymn. Look it up on You-Tube or on the web with the English title.

Tryggare kan ingen vara,
Än Guds lilla barnaskara,
Stjärnan ej på himlafästet,
Fågeln ej i kända nästet.

Herren sina trogna vårdar,
Uti Sions helga gårdar,
Över dem Han sig förbarmar,
Bär dem uppå fadersarmar.

Ingen nöd och ingen lycka,
Skall utur Hans hand dem rycka,
Han vår vän för andra vänner,
Sina barns bekymmer känner.

Se Han räknar håren alla,
Som från deras huvud falla,
Han oss föder och oss kläder,
Under sorgen Han oss gläder.

Gläd dig då, du lilla skara,
Jakobs Gud skall dig bevara,
För Hans vilja måste alla,
Fiender till jorden falla.

Vad Han tar och vad Han giver,
Samme Fader Han förbliver,
Och Hans mål är blott det ena,
Barnets sanna väl allena.