09 October 2008

Letter to the Standing Committee of Pittsburgh

October 9, 2008

The Rev. Dr. James B. Simons
St. Michael’s of the Valley Episcopal Church
P.O. Box 336 Ligonier, Pennsylvania 15658

Dear Jim:


Thank you for your letter of 8 October 2008, advising that you have appointed the Rev.
Jeff Murph and Ms. Mary Roehrich to the Standing Committee, and that you are working together to lead the reorganization of the Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh. I give thanks for your efforts, and I pledge my support and that of this Office in this vital task.

As a first step, and in response to the specific request in your letter, I have asked the Rt.
Rev. F. Clayton Matthews, Bishop for Pastoral Development, to meet with you and your colleagues on the Standing Committee to assist in obtaining appropriate episcopal assistance for the Diocese in the coming months.

I give thanks for the work that the Standing Committee has undertaken and look forward
to learning of your progress as you move forward in this mission. You and the people of the Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh continue in my prayers and those of Episcopalians across this Church. I remain

Your servant in Christ,
Katharine Jefferts Schori