1927 - 2009
Anyone who has attended seminary during the past thirty-five years is well acquainted with his work. He and Massey Shepherd were the foremost liturgical scholars of our age.
He was a member of the
- Standing Commission on Church Music, 1974-1985
- Standing Liturgical Commission, 1977-1982
- General Board of Examining Chaplains, 1988-1994
- Chair of the Text Committee for The Hymnal 1982
- Chair of the Committee for the Book of Occasional Services
- Sanctifying Life, Time and Space: An Introduction to Liturgical Study (1976)
- A Manual for Clergy and Church Musicians (1980)
- Commentary on the American Prayer Book (1981), and
- The Making of the First American Book of Common Prayer (1982).
He received his S.T.M. from General Seminary in 1967 and his Th.D. in 1972. Hatchett taught liturgics and church music at the School of Theology from 1 Feb. 1969, until his retirement on 16 May 1999. On 15 Jan. 1991, he was named the Cleveland Keith Benedict Professor of Pastoral Theology.
But, more important than all of the above, he was a gentleman. It was an honour to know him.
I am positive the liturgy in Heaven will improve now that he's there to see it's done correctly.
And Light Perpetual Shine Upon Him.