05 September 2008

Feast of Blessed Theresa of Calcutta


Today is the feast day of Blessed Theresa of Calcutta. There are no words to say about her -- her life speaks for itself.


I find Mother Theresa's life to be a relief because she said that for fifty years God had been silent in her life. However, she went on doing what he had called her to do. When I wonder why God doesn't answer me, I think of Mother Theresa.


I had the honour to met Mother Theresa on three occasions. TO be in her presence was beyond words to describe. She called me "my friend" (but she called everyone that). She stood about two feet tall but when she looked at me it was as if she were looking into my very soul. It is amazing to think I have met and been embraced by a Blessed. Of course she was blessed and a saint when I met her, but now she is a real Blessed. When the day comes that she is canonized, I plan to be in St. Peter's Square to see "my friend" declared a holy example for the world and a special wittiness of Christ.


O Almighty God, who has compassed us about
with so great a cloud of witnesses:

Grant that we, encouraged by the
good example of thy servant Theresa,

may persevere in running the race that is set before us,
until at length, though they mercy,
we may with her attain to thine eternal joy;

though Jesus Christ, the author and perfecter of our faith,
who liveth and reigneth with thee
and the Holy Ghost, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


This is probably my favourite John Rutter composition. It's a fitting prayer for Mother Theresa.