27 November 2008

We gather together

Much is made of our Pilgrims and their "first thanksgiving." But the historical facts are, the Pilgrims were not the first to celebrate thanksgiving in the "new world". Jamestown had already done so. But, when the "myths" were created in the 19th century, the Pilgrims got the credit. Why? Because the "myth writer" was from New England. He decided the Calvinist Pilgrims should get credit instead of the Anglican Virginians. And, the rest is U.S. History.

Beginning with Thanksgiving day, my thoughts, for the next five weeks, return to my childhood. When one's parents have escaped mortality for the life of larger freedom, I do not believe the "holidays" are the same. The older I become, the more I miss my family. This year is particularly poignant for me in that one of my cousins (one of two) with whom I have always been closest (even closer than my brothers and I -- I rarely see my brothers) is celebrating in that larger life.

This year I am thankful for all the blessings God has giving me during the past year. I am particularly thankful for IT and JCF who have taught me so much about subject matters I did not previously understand. I'm thankful for the reconnection with a long time friend, Matthew.

And I am thankful for all of you who read my poor attempt at blogging and pointing out the lunacy of the schismatics. You are all "cyber family" to me. It is strange that I can feel such a closeness and connection to people I've never met, but I do.

But most of all, I am thankful that God loves me, just as I am, warts and all.

Where ever you are I wish you a happy Thanksgiving. As you sit down to your meal, where ever and what ever it is, remember that millions of Americans do not have enough to eat, on a daily basis. Remember them in your prayers and make a donation to an organization that feeds the hungry. "... Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you not ..."

The clip I've chosen reminds me so much of my childhood; visiting my aunt and uncle who were still farmers (I was, thankfully, a "townie").