25 July 2008

St. James and Fr. T

One of the nice things about having one’s own blog is that one may write about anything one wishes. Today is the such a day. I rather think that I am taking the day as a toxic free day, although I strongly urge you to read yesterday's post then read Bishop Robinson's post for today found here.

Today is the Feast Day of St. James the Apostle (St. James the Greater). It is my name day. It is the patronal feast day of the my life-long parish.

O gracious God, we remember before you today your servant and apostle James, first among the Twelve to suffer martyrdom for the Name of Jesus Christ; and we pray that you will pour out upon the leaders of your Church that spirit of self-denying service by which alone they may have true authority among your people; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Today is also the anniversary of the ordination to the priesthood of the Rev’d. Terry L. Martin, better known as “Fr. Jake” to a huge portion of The Episcopal Church and a significant portion of the AC.

On the anniversary of your ordination, I say, “God knew exactly what he was doing when he decided he couldn’t trust you as a layperson.” Or, as Minni Pearl used to say, "I'm just so proud to know ya!"

------------------

I hope you will take five minutes to watch last night's Colbert Report which featured a segment on Lambeth. You'll find it here. My favourite moment was when Colbert asked, "Why can't the Anglicans just ordain all the gay priests they want and not talk about it, like the Catholics do."

----------------

On a different subject, my condolences and prayers for Susan Russell, attending Lambeth, whose mother died yesterday. Requiescat in pace, et lux perpetua luceat eis. You may read Susan's thoughts here.